Makes about 8 scones
2 cups flour
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick), cold & cut into chunks
1.5 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 tablespoons sugar (to taste)
1/2 cup chopped dates & pecans OR
1/2 cup blueberries (frozen) OR
1/2 currants OR
1/2 cup walnuts & zest of 1/2 an orange
1/2 cup milk OR
1/4 cup lemon yogurt and 1/4 cup milk
1. In a Cuisinart, pulse the flour & butter together until mixed. Add the tartar, baking soda, salt & sugar and pulse again until incorporated.
2. Add the fruit & nuts, pulse again (unless you're using blueberries).
3. In a separate bowl, mix the milk & egg together. Turn dry ingredients into the same bowl and gently mix together with your hands until just incorporated.
4. Divide the dough into two balls. Make each ball into a mound, then cut into four wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Take a little milk and brush onto each scone and dust with sugar.
5. Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.