| (printer friendly)
Makes 6-8 waffles
1 3/4 cups cake flour (sifted before measuring)
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
7 tablespoons melted butter, cooled slightly
1 1/2 cups milk, room-temp
1. Preheat waffle iron and preheat oven to 250°F.
2. Sift the cake flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl. Make a hole in the center of the sifted ingredients.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the whites and beat the yolks well (save whites). Combine the yolks, melted butter and milk and then add to the dry ingredients. Combine them with a few swift strokes, but don't over mix; the batter should have a pebbled look.
4. Beat the whites until stiff but not dry and then fold them into the batter until they are just blended.
5. Pour batter into waffle iron. Place cooked waffles in the oven on bare oven racks in a single layer to keep crisp until serving--do not stack them or they will get soggy.