| (printer friendly)
best made with really good tomatoes
4-5 slices white bread, crusts removed
sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon milk or cream
3 medium tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (about 12)
2-6 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/4 lb. fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices (about 12)
1 scant tablespoon fresh marjoram
1. In a food processor, process bread into fine crumbs. You should have about 1 1/2 cups. Season with salt and pepper and place on a plate.
2. Put flour on a large plate. Beat egg with milk in a shallow bowl.
3. Dip tomato slices in flour, then egg, then bread crumb mixture.
4. In a large, non-stick skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons butter or oil over medium heat. When hot, add tomatoes and cook, covered, until browned, 3-5 minutes.
5. Uncover pan and turn tomatoes over, adding more butter or oil if needed. Lay a piece of mozzarella over each tomato and cover pan.
6. Cook until bread crumbs have browned and cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes.
7. Serve immediately and sprinkle with marjoram.
Very nice served over salad with a simple vinaigrette.
Can be cooled then refrigerated and reheated in a 350 oven, but not quite as good.