| (printer friendly)
2 chickens, cut into serving pieces
1 head of garlic, peeled and finely pureed
1/4 cup dried oregano
coarse salt and black pepper
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup pitted prunes
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/2 cup capers with a bit of juice
6 bay leaves
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1. In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients. Cover and marinate overnight, refrigerated.
2. Preheat oven to 350. Arrange chicken in one or two pans and pour marinade over. Sprinkle brown sugar on top and pour white wine around chicken pieces.
3. Bake for 50-60 minutes, basting frequently with pan juices. When chicken is done (check by cutting into a thigh piece), remove from oven.
4. To serve warm, transfer chicken, prunes, capers and olives to a serving platter and moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices. Sprinkle with parsley. Pass remaining juices in a sauceboat.
5. To serve cold, cool to room temperature in cooking juices before transferring to a platter. Chicken can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Allow to return to room temp before serving.
Great with mashed potatoes made with a cup of pan juices.