| (printer friendly)
5 pounds pork belly (in 2 slabs, rind on or off)
1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1
2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
6 bay leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup brown sugar
8 cloves of garlic, smashed with the flat side of a chef’s knife
1. Mix all ingredients together, except for pork.
2. Put each pork belly into a ziplock bag (or other container). Rub the salt mixture all over the belly. Seal bag and refrigerate for seven days. If using ziplocks make sure to place on a cookie sheet or dish to catch any leaks.
3. Halfway through (3-4 days), flip bellies and redistribute seasonings. Note: at this point the salt mixture will have become liquid.
4. After seven days, thoroughly rinse off all the seasonings under cold water and pat it dry.
5. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place slabs on a rack on a sheet tray and cook for 90 minutes. Or if you have a smoker, you can smoke the bellies until they reach an internal temperature of 150 degrees.
6. Remove from oven and let cool. If the rind is still on, carefully cut it off when the pork is cool enough to handle. If not using right away, refrigerate or freeze.
7. When ready to eat, slice to desired thickness and pan fry until crisp. Enjoy!