| (printer friendly)
Chili Coconut Marinade
2 fresh red hot chili peppers, seeded
3 T chopped shallot or yellow onion
3 T minced fresh cilantro, including stems
2 T minced fresh ginger root
1 T chopped garlic
1/2 C fish sauce or light soy sauce
1/2 C unsweetened coconut milk
3 T vegetable oil
1 T granulated sugar
Spicy Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
3 Tablespoons minced garlic
1 Tablespoon minced red hot chili pepper
1/4 cup sesame oil
1 Tablespoon hot chili oil (or to taste)
1 Tablespoon minced cilantro
1. Marinade: In a food processor or blender, combine first 6 ingredients and chop finely. Add the fish sauce coconut milk and sugar and blend until fairly smooth.
2. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
3. Dipping Sauce: In a saucepan over medium high heat, combine vingear, soy, sugar, garlic and chili pepper. Cook, stirring until the sugar melts. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the sesame and chili oil. Cool to room temp then add in the cilantro. Refrigerate until ready to use. Can be stored overnight.
4. Light grill and brush with vegetable oil. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for 25-30 minutes, or until done. Reserve marinade and baste often.
5. Serve chicken with dipping sauce.