| (printer friendly)
makes about 60 pieces
2 sheets frozen puff pastry (17 1/4-ounce package), thawed according to directions on box
1 pound sausage, casings removed
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water or milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Form sausage into a 1/2 inch thick coil and place on a baking sheet. Bake sausage for 15 minutes, then carefully turn and bake another 10-15 minutes or until almost cooked. Cool to room temperature.
2. Unfold pastry sheet on floured wax paper. Roll out each sheet to a 12x10-inch rectangle. Cut pastry crosswise into three 10x4-inch strips.
3. Brush end of each strip with egg mixture. Divide sausage into 6 equal parts and arrange in a narrow strip lengthwise down the center of each pastry strip.
4. Roll pastry around sausage, overlapping the pastry edges slightly in center; press seam to seal. Arrange rolls seam side down on baking sheet. Cover and chill until rolls are firm, at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour.
5. Cut each roll crosswise into 8-10 pieces. (Sausages can be prepared up to this point and then frozen for several weeks.)
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake until rolls are puffed and golden, about 15-20 minutes (add 5-10 minutes if they were previously frozen).