| (printer friendly)
Makes one 9" cake or two 5" cakes
soft butter for pans
parchment for pans
1 cup whole hazelnuts
1/2 cup dried sour cherries
2 tablespoons cherry brandy
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup light-brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on a baking pan and bake until fragrant, about 10-15 minutes. Rub warm nuts in a clean kitchen towel to remove skins. Set aside.
2. Reduce oven heat to 300 degrees. Brush a 9-inch springform pan with
soft butter, fit with circle of parchment, brush parchment with butter and set aside.
3. Combine nuts, cherries, brandy and chocolates in a medium bowl, set aside.
4. Sift 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl.
5. Combine honey and sugar in a saucepan. Stirring, bring sugar to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add with cherry & chocolate mixture, stirring until combined. Fold in flour mixture to combine. Pour into prepared pan.
5. With wet fingers, carefully press the mixture to form a
level layer. Combine 1/2 tablespoon flour, 1 teaspoon
cinnamon, and cocoa and sift over unbaked cake.
6. Bake until set, about 30-45 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool. Keep in an airtight container up to 1 week.