| (printer friendly)
3 lb butternut squash
4 tablespoons butter, melted
sage leaves from 4 stems, julliened
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casing
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan, grated
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Peel butternut squash, then slice into 1" rings. Cut away seeds and insides, then cut squash into 1" cubes. Toss with butter, sage, salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for one hour, or until very soft.
3. Meanwhile, saute sausage over medium heat, breaking apart large chunks, until just cooked through (i.e. no longer pink inside). Transfer sausage to a large bowl and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of grease.
4. Return pan to medium heat and saute onions until soft. Add onions to sauage.
5. When the squash is done, cool slightly and add to the sausage and onion mixture. Add parmesan and nutmeg and gently toss until mixed. Place into a buttered casserole dish.
Dish can be made ahead up until this point. Wrap tightly with saran and refrigerate.
6. When ready to bake, remove casserole from fridge and pour cream over. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes in a 350 oven.