| (printer friendly)
butter (for greasing pan)
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 cups grated carrots (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 cup blanched and finely chopped almonds
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 pound confectioners sugar
1. Grease your cake pan with the butter (10 inch tube pan, three 9 inch rounds, or a 9 x 13 square all work).
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Stir oil and sugar together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. In a separate bowl, sift together the salt, cinnamon, flour and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated. Then add the carrots and the almonds and mix again.
5. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan(s) and bake for 1 1/4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Let cake cool on a wire rack. Remove from pan when cool and then frost.
Beat the cream cheese with an electric mixer until it is light and
fluffy. Slowly add the melted butter, beating until completely mixed in. Add the vanilla and sugar and beat well until the icing is smooth.