| (printer friendly)
1/2 cup wild rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup crème fraîche
4 tablespoons onion, chopped fine
2-3 ounces golden whitefish caviar
1. In a fine sieve rinse rice under cold running water and drain. In a small heavy saucepan bring 2 cups broth to a boil and stir in rice. Simmer rice, uncovered, until just tender but grains are not open, about 40 minutes. Drain rice in sieve and rinse under cold running water. Drain rice well and transfer to a bowl. Rice may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring rice to room temperature before proceeding.
2. Lightly beat egg and stir into rice.
3. In a medium non-stick skillet heat 1 tablespoon oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Drop heaping teaspoons rice mixture into skillet without crowding and cook, flattening griddlecakes slightly with a spatula (griddlecakes should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter), until golden brown, about 1 1/2 minutes on each side.
3. Transfer griddlecakes as cooked to paper towels to drain and season with salt and pepper. Make more griddlecakes in same manner with remaining rice mixture and oil. Keep cakes warm on a rack in the oven until ready to serve.
4. Cool griddlecakes slightly and top with crème fraîche, onion and caviar.