Monday, May 5th, 2008

Jammin’ Bacon

My mom likes to tell the story of my first Christmas as a toddler, in which I nearly hyperventilated while jumping up and down in my Johnny Jumper at the first sight of a wrapped present. These days I can usually keep my excitement under wraps, but when Josh from Skillet sent me a jar of BACON JAM I could feel my heart rate go up and my breath quicken. I was in the middle of a conversation which I quickly broke off when I spotted the package on the mail shelf. I tore into the box to find a small jar of dirt-colored paste. Honestly, it did not look appetizing, but that didn’t stop me from opening the jar right there in the lobby. I took one whiff of intoxicating bacon and plunged my finger right in.

This stuff is GOOD. Packed full of bacon, but also tempered with caramelized onions and a vinegary counterbalance that reminds me of chutney. I tried it on bagels with a bit of turkey (YUM), as a pizza base (YUM) and even stirred it into cottage cheese as a snack (YUM). I can’t wait to head down to Skillet and try it on their burger.

Thank you Josh!

Technorati Tags: ,

10 Responses to “Jammin’ Bacon”

1. Ahhh, I had it on a burger at skillet. It’s delicious. How the hell did you get hooked up with a jar of it?!!?

2. Food and Field says:

A jar, eh?

3. Joanne says:

I just have to try this. I followed the ebay link and bought a jar.

4. Jason Mosley says:

Bacon Jam!!! Wow that sounds yummy.

I hope you start to post more often! Bacon lovers miss you!

5. Eva says:

There’s a restaurant in Palm Springs, CA that has 6 different types of bacon…….Cheeky’s Palm Springs……

6. Bacon jam is probably the best idea I’ve heard about this year. I just wish they’d ship to Europe. I’ll just have to make my own now.

7. Anticiplate says:

I was just about to ask you if you had tried the bacon jam at SKILLET, and waalaa…here is your post. It intrigues me, but I wont lie, I am slightly freaked out. The other day I also saw bacon chocolate and bacon icecream, both which I am sure you have tried.

8. bob says:

Hell i am here to say bacon is lovely

9. Rebecca says:

Our bacon jam just arrived today. :) Hubby loves it, and I /mostly/ love it. I can’t stand onions though, so I’ll make a version without onions myself for perfect bacon goodness.

10. Kate says:

I just made Homesick Texan’s bacon jam and it was easy and awesome: http://domestikating.wordpress.com/2010/07/06/bacon-fest-2010-bacon-jam/.

Thanks for all the bacon goodness on this site.