Wednesday, December 14th, 2005

Grateful Palate Catalog

Few things make me happier than when I receive the annual Gift Handbook from the Grateful Palate. A highlight of my favorites in this year’s catalog include:

Cowboy Ciao Bacon Brittle – Yep, that’s right. B-A-C-O-N Brittle. Candied bacon. Bacon crack. According to The Handbook, fights have broken out over this stuff.

Cob smoked bacon – I’ve never had cob smoked bacon, but it sounds pretty damn tasty. I mean if it’s good enough for the Pope, then it’s probably good enough for me.

BLT ring – I am terribly disappointed that this isn’t on the online catalog, so I’m going to attempt to describe it. It’s a sterling silver ring made up of five separate rings. If you laid each ring flat on a table you would see that the outside of the ring is shaped; two are shaped like pieces of bread, one is ruffled like lettuce, one is striated and wavy like cooked bacon and one is round like a tomato slice. But when you stack them on all your finger all you see is one edge and it looks like a normal ring. If it wasn’t $150 I would probably buy it.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

24 Responses to “Grateful Palate Catalog”

1. Katy says:

Yum – our friends in bacon love have been making this for us and it’s So.Freakin.Good. We do fight over it, truely.

Wait. Are you saying that someone you know makes bacon brittle? Uh, any way you could score the recipe?

3. Katy says:

Yes, of course! I’m on it …

Katy, I owe you one! Thanks SO much!

5. kevin says:

Bacon brittle? That has got to be against the law.

6. joey says:

I am eagerly awaiting the bacon brittle recipe…that sounds just too good to be true! Please do share… :)

7. Capt. Marvelous says:

It is true. The lovely Madame Fabulous (my wife) and I do make bacon brittle. Sticky stuff! We’ve even tried putting it in cookies – we’re still working on perfecting that. We got the recipe out of our kitchen bible, “Everything Tastes Better With Bacon.” Some of the best things in life have come out of this book; I highly recommend it.

Kevin, I think you have it backwards; bacon brittle IS the law.

Joey,
    Yes, I will for sure be sharing. I will be shouting it from the rooftops. Stay tuned…

Capt. Marvelous,
    How exciting to hear from you! Please keep me posted on your bacon brittle developments. Thanks for the book recommendation—I just added it to my Christmas wish list, so hopefully I will have it in my hot little hands on the 25th!

11. Cowboy Ciao- good stuff, and a terrific wine list to boot.

12. Capt. Marvelous says:

Bacon Brittle – courtesy of “Everything Tastes Better With Bacon.”

1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup light corn syrup
    1/2 cup water
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 cup (~2 ounces) chopped pecans
    1/3 to 1/2 cup cooked bacon bits (6 to 8 ounces uncooked)

Grease or butter a large nonstick baking sheet.
    In a medium heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, and water over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a boil. Attach a candy thermometer to the pan. Increase the heat to high and cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 290 degrees F. Immmediately remove from heat.
    Stir in the butter, vanilla, baking soda, pecans, and bacon bits. Watch out, the mixture will foam. When the foam subsides, pour the hot mixture onto the prepared baking sheet as thinly as possible. Do not use a spatula. Cool for at least 10 minutes before breaking into pieces. Store in a covered container for as long it lasts. (Not long enough.)

Good luck, and enjoy!

13. Katy says:

Capt. Marv. forgot to add that it’s Really Damn Good. And no, it won’t last long enough to find a container to store it in. Let us know if you try it!

Katy & Capt. Marvelous,
    Thank you SO much for this recipe! I’m excited to try it—maybe for the holiday season. I will definitely let you know when I make it. Thanks again!!

15. Kay says:

Not sure if this was mentioned before but did you see this ginger snap recipe featuring bacon from NYT? http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/style/t_h_2290_2291_talk_cookie_.html? ex=1135227600&en=870e71ee63da7fa9&ei=5070

Thanks Kay!
    Yes, someone sent me that cookie recipe… I can’t wait to make them! They sound really delicious. And not just because they contain bacon fat.

17. amy says:

The ginger snap link has gone away. Does anyone have the recipe?

Hi Amy,
    If that link doesn’t work for you, you can also find the
    Swedish Ginger Cookie recipe here. Enjoy!

19. Heather says:

Cowboy Ciao is one of my favorite restaurants in Scottsdale, so I’m sure the bacon brittle is outstanding. I’m going to order some now!

Oh wow,
    I didn’t know that Cowboy Ciao was a restaurant! Please give us a review!!

21. mia taylor says:

how can i get a catalog sent to my house

Hi Mia,
    I’m not sure how you can get a catalog… they used to have a sign-up on their site, but it’s gone now. You may actually need to purchase something in order to get on the list now—and they only send out one catalog a year, usually right before Christmas.

23. James says:

You should review this one!!! Tell them who you are, they might send you some for the NW exposure.

It’s really big in the MidWest. My Aunts and Uncles swear by it and we will have some in about 2 hours for Christmas!

24. I really liked your blog! Praise Bacon and Hallelujah :)