Wednesday, June 1st, 2005

Does My Blog Look Good in This? – Sixth Edition

I am honored to host the Sixth Edition(!) of Does My Blog Look Good in This?!

In case you’ve missed the past few editions, new rules have been implemented and photos are now judged by a panel of five, each giving photos a 1-10 rating for three different categories:

• Aesthetics – Is your picture purdy?
  • Eatability – Do you want to gobble the subject matter down?
  • Originality – Is your photo unique? Bizarre? Strangely beautiful?

Our esteemed judges for this month are Accidental Hedonist, Arthur Hungry, MeatHenge, The Food Section, and myself.

kitchencrazydaffy

Clea cuisine
(Nikon Coolpix 5200)
A:30 E:27 O:39 – Total:96

Bunny Pie
A:32 E:38 O:35 – Total:105

Spittoon.biz
(Sharp GX30 camera phone)
A:38 E:30 O:33 – Total:101

Delicious! Delicious!
A:38 E:40 O:33 – Total:111

To Short Term Memories
(Nikon D70)
A:39 E:36 O:37 – Total:112

Roast Chicken Reasoning
(Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom)
A:27 E:30 O:29 – Total:86

Brandon Eats
A:30 E:24 O:29 – Total:83

Confabulist
A:36 E:29 O:37 – Total:102

Gastronomie
A:33 E:36 O:33 – Total:102

34 Responses to “Does My Blog Look Good in This? – Sixth Edition”

1. Clea says:

Hello! I’d love to participate in this 6th edition. Since it’s my first time, I’d like to know how many pictures one can send. Thank you!

Hi Clea,
    I wish I could read your blog! My French is so rusty…

Yes, please participate! You can only send in one image—and it has to be from a post made in either April or May of this year, but the contest runs every month, so you can enter an image once a month!

3. Cheryl says:

i’ve never taken part before but would like to, this time round, and i have one question, “Does the food that is photographed have to be cooked/baked by me?” Just wanted to make sure. thanks much!

Hi Cheryl,
    The food in the picture you submit does not have to be made by you, it only has to be posted on your blog!

5. Dr. Biggles says:

Ya know, since this is a photography contest, I’d like to know what people are shooting with. I bought a little Sony W1 a month ago or so and spent some time with it up on my tripod with lights and couldn’t get more than 1 decent shot out of 10. So I sold it. I think it’s extra special when someone can take a photograph, such as the above, with a 300 dollar digital camera. I’m not going to sell my D70, no sir.

Biggles

6. Jennifer says:

Mine is just a simple Nikon coolpix. Last year’s model…we got a great clearance deal on it at Best Buy a few months ago. My pictures are always varied though…the quality really depends on the light coming through the window at the time. So it is hit and miss.

Biggles – That’s a great idea. I’ll post a note about that for future entries.

Jennifer – Thanks for the info! I know what you mean about the light… that seems to be the deciding factor in whether or not I have crappy or beautiful pictures.

9. These biscotti were shot with a Canon powershot A70, macro function on. The light is as it was, I just cropped the pic a bit and gave it a slight soft-focus finish (with Picassa…just love that tool!)

Thanks Kitchen Queen! I updated your entry.

11. Wow. The entries look great.

I shot mine on a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10. I wish I could upgrade to a digital SLR.

12. gwenda says:

hi megan i used a nikon coolpix3700 for my picture

13. sarah says:

can we nominate someone else?!

Hi Sarah,
    I think that would be okay, but I would need permission from the blog owner to post their image on my site for the contest. Maybe you could check with them first?

Thanks!

Megan

15. William C says:

Wow! I can’t believe how good these pictures are. You all are making me hungry…

I know! We’ve had great turn-out and I’m really excited to see so many new people participating.

17. MichaelB says:

What size image do you want sent in? I have smaller, clickable thumbnails in my post, but the viewer can see a 640×480 image. So, want the thumbnail or larger image. And this is a great way for other bloggers to see new sites. Thanks for continuing this on.

Hi MichaelB!
    I totally agree. Because of this competition, I’ve already seen about 10 new sites that I’d never heard of before… including yours! Ha ha. Plus it’s such a great idea to rotate hosting from blog to blog because even more people get to hear about it. Go food bloggers!

So, on the photos, to be fair I’m trying to keep them around 200×267 pixels so they’re all relatively the same size. I’ve actually been resizing them as I get them, so if you want, you can just send in the larger size and I can take care of it.

Can’t wait to see your entry!
    Megan

19. McAuliflower says:

Wooweee! We’re going to ahve alot of scrolling to do ;)

Uh yeah… I need to move this to a new page soon!

21. Rachael says:

I wish I could vote, Bunny Pie, Lex Culinaria AND Traveler’s Lunchbox all have me in awe. Thank you so much for hosting?

Did Sarah nominate someone else in the end? Cheeky Sarah!

Hi Rachael,
    Sorry we had to close down the open voting… it was just too difficult to track! But maybe you should host and then you can judge and pick the judges. Contact Ronald over at IMBB if you’re interested!

P.S. Sarah didn’t nominate, but I think she contacted Keiko over at Nordljus to submit something…

23. sarah says:

cheeky! lol! i just loooove the photography over at nordljus, but haven’t yet asked her to submit a photo. hopefully she will. it’s all amazing.

24. Sweetnicks says:

How can one sign up to host future events?

Hi Sweetnicks,
    You can contact Ronald over at Is My Blog Burning? to get in on the hosting rotation.

26. Jennifer says:

Thanks Megan. You are a champ!

27. Fatemeh says:

Oh, I’ve been so intimidated by the photography that’s been submitted, but I just HAVE to submit a good one for my hubby, b/c there would be ONLY crappy pictures on my blog if it wasn’t for him!

So, an email is awaiting you, m’dear!

28. simon says:

Yeah no kidding these are some really amazing photos. It definitely makes me hungry viewing a lot of these. Does anyone have any online references on tips n tricks to photographing food? I am kind of a beginner, don’t have any serious equipment yet but would love to take photos like the rest of you.

Hi Simon,
    I don’t know of any food photographing references off-hand, but I’m sure there are a ton out there! From personal experience, I get the best results when I’m photographing during the day with natural light. I just can’t get the hang of that flash!

P.S. Your Ma Po Dou Fu recipe sounds delish… I’m going to have to try that out.

Fatemeh, Great entry! Churros… Mmmmmmm.

31. shalimar says:

Oh dear where was I when this was posted… woould love to join next month.. greqet collection of photos!

Shalimar,
    Sorry you missed the contest… you have some great photographs on your blog! I hope you can participate next month. I can’t remember where it’s being hosted, but when I find out I’ll post a note on my blog. Thanks!

Thanks B! That’s a great link!