Thursday, April 21st, 2005

Newport beach, here we come…

My friend K is visiting from NY for two weeks and we thought it would be great to get away for a few days. My dad happens to have a timeshare condo in Newport, so we planned a trip down to the Oregon coast. Newport boasts a wax museum and a “Ripley’s Believe It or Not”, so I was a little worried that it was going to be a tacky tourist town and wasn’t quite sure what to expect.

The first thing I didn’t expect was how long the drive would be. For some reason I had it my head that it was just past Portland, but it took more than five hours to get there (and we didn’t leave until noon because we were up till three in the morning the night before playing mah jong). The second thing I didn’t expect was how gorgeous it would be. When we arrived it was overcast and even still, the view of Yaquina Bay was unbelievable—sparkling clear water, working docks, boat marinas and a gorgeous bridge. Newport mainly consists of commercial fisherman and tourists, but our condo was at the far end of the main strip, so it was peaceful and pleasant.

Once we checked in, we wandered through our enormous accommodations. We were spoiled with two bedrooms—one in an upstairs loft complete with a spiral staircase, a fully outfitted kitchen, a dining area, a really comfortable living room, a fireplace, two bathrooms with two Jacuzzis and two large private decks, both with unobstructed 180 degree views of the bay. We were in heaven and couldn’t believe our good luck. After we called my dad to thank him profusely, we uncorked a bottle of wine, sat out on the deck (despite the chilly weather) and soaked in the view.

Even though it was only 6pm, I was hungry, so we decided to hit happy hour in the hotel restaurant ($3.50 French dips!). The restaurant had a lovely view of the marina, but was unfortunately also decorated like a marina: captains wheels, buoys, brass lanterns and the whole bit. And it being Early Bird time, the blue-haired were out in force. I looked around and giggled—at least it really felt like I wasn’t in Seattle anymore.

I ordered what quite possibly was the worst French dip I’ve ever eaten—and I’m pretty lenient when it comes to French dips. The bread was all wrong (rock-hard sourdough), the meat tasted sickly and the au jus was simply water tinted brown. The fries were pale and anemic and barely worth eating. K didn’t fare much better with her Caesar salad that was drowning in bottled dressing. But I was happy our meals were only $3.50 each, as the regular entrees were approaching the $30 range! I was also grateful that our condo had a kitchen. After dinner we went back to the room and spent more time on the deck, watching the lighthouse lights blink off and on, then fell asleep early from all that fresh air.

Thank you, thank you, thank you Dad!

11 Responses to “Newport beach, here we come…”

1. Dr. Biggles says:

Aaawwww, I used to spend weeks up there every year with a friend. This went on for a handful of years. Grams (long since passed) had a home over the beach. Funky cabin type house with knotty pine everywhere. It was awesome. There was a bakery in town where we’d load up on eclairs & cream puffs & cakes and all kinds of goodies. Newport is a nice place. Don’t feel too bad, it took longer from the SF Bay Area than 5 hours.

Biggles

2. Each of the Oregon Coast towns has its own personality. I love Newport and it was always the “working town”. The wax museum and Ripley’s have been there for years and I have no idea why! I guess it was to try to bring some tourism to the area. Silly people.

Don’t know if you had a chance to eat at Mo’s but the original Mo’s is right on that inner harbor and used to open at 3:30 am to serve the fisherman before they went out for the day.

The other great thing about that harbor is that somebody is usually selling crabs or shrimp that they just brought in – I LOVE that!

Next time you head to the Oregon coast (or anywhere in Oregon for that matter) give me a heads up. I’d be happy to tell you what I know. (For what it’s worth…)

~ B

3. Dr. Biggles says:

I can’t tell you any where cause I started going there in 1976. I remember the Circle K, Ben Franklin & the bakery … Oh and it snowed one winter. No kidding. Snow on the beach, it was amazing.

4. Laura says:

I looked for another way to contact you and apologize if I missed it. Just wanted to say that I would dearly love to keep reading your site but wonder if you have thought about enlarging the font. I have good vision and don’t have this issue on other sites, but your font is so tiny I am about to give yours up. Thanks for your consideration and good luck.

5. Dr. Biggles says:

Hmm, I thought it was tiny. But most things are tiny on a 21” monitor, so I didn’t say anything.
    WHAT ?!?!? No contact information ?!?

Biggles, That cabin sounds great! I bet those were some fun summers. That’s crazy about the snow, but I bet it was amazing…

Thanks B! I will get the low-down from you next time I go—although this trip wasn’t really about food, more about relaxing and enjoying the view. We actually had a better view from our kitchen than any restaurant on the strip!

Yes, I heart tiny type… it’s a downfall of mine. I’m working on a solution, so please bear with me!

9. s the capability to adapt to new or changing situations
    to obtain the outcome you want. First, you need to look at the power output of the generator.
    ; learning Music Theory, Performance, Chamber Music and how to listen in an orchestra.
    Get lunch, and a possible feild trip to see chief Seattles gravesite.

If I had some friends I probably would have cared less about what we were actually doing.
    Organic Hoopz is a training model Steele will utilize in his camps to teach basketball skills, and prepare
    the participants physically, nutritionally, and mentally to compete at the highest level.
    As a former coach at Skyhawks camps, I can say that it
    is a wonderful overall experience for children. I knew then that I wanted to motivate and inspire the neediest students
    whom many have written off just because of
    the circumstances they were born into. Aggressive behavior
    is the subconscious way of a teenager telling you, “I need to find my own space, do not keep your “in my face” policing, all the time,will you. They also recognize weaknesses and develop a strategy to improve them.

Feel free to visit my webpage boca raton summer camps activities

10. Social media traffic is becoming a bigger piece of the
    pie and may soon rival search engine traffic. Managing Social Marketing Campaigns for Local
    Businesses. The second way of getting high paying social media clients is to simply work
    your local businesses and present yourself as the person that
    will help them with their social media marketing for a fee.
    You can easily find from simple how-to-guides to expensive training
    programs all online. For businesses trying to raise brand
    awareness through social media, content is everything.

Determine what is most important to your organization and then develop your plan around that goal.
    Setting up your funnel so that it allows leads to jump in whenever they need to is a must.
    Followers will begin to feel like they know you as
    an acquaintance, or a friend, which will make them much more likely
    to think of you when they or a friend require photography services.
    It takes a lot of patience and strong strategic moves to wipe
    out negative comments from forums, blogs, or websites. How many times have you dined
    at a great new restaurant, and immediately recommended it to friends.

My page … social Media Marketing articles

11. the hills says:

In December 2012, she was half way through her reconstructive procedure and has since become a symbol of hope for women suppressed by the Taliban, urging women to “never give up and don’t lose hope,” that “what happened, it’s part of me, part of my life and its all the time in my mind and with me. In 2009, men undergoing some sort of cosmetic surgery procedure rose eight percent. The physical and external benefits are very obvious.

Here is my site :: the hills